Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Ringwood Town vs Verwood Town 06-Oct-18


Ringwood were really hyped for this one and in the first three minutes should have and the ball in the net. A run down their right, a low cross and their centre forwards toe miscued in front of the sticks. Evans seized the loose ball and cleared up field. The warning shot was heeded, but Ringwood continued to be the team in most possession as we misfired.

On 15 minutes a through ball sliced us wide open. Carkeet did well to compete in the chase to head off a runner direct on goal and take the ball off toes.

It took 20 minutes to get in gear. Dyer led the way with a volley from the edge of the box that was saved at the foot of the post. Davies then skipped past his marker to drive the ball just over the angle.

On 30 minutes we gave away a free kick on the edge of the area. The ball skimmed the foot of the post.

Our retaliation was Gajic’s shot hitting the side netting.

10 minutes left and we were opened up in the middle. The resultant low shot from just inside the box was superbly deflected by Tierney. The ball spun up in the air, hit a Ringwood player, and landed on top of the net. Another warning.

Tierney won another one on one with 4 minutes left and then we countered winning a corner. Dyer’s ball back to Evans was lifted on to the spot. Up went Sheridan but only to plant the ball on the roof of the net.

Half Time 0-0

The strong swirling wind continued but now more in our favour. Ringwood’s start was again a strong desire to be first for the ball and to chase everything down.

Richardson had lasted longer than expected and came off after 5 minutes to let Joe Kimber on.

Head judged a clearance to the ‘nth degree and a chip wide found Davies going free. A sliding tackle was judged a foul so up stepped Dyer to drop the ball in the 6 yard box. Sam Joy did the business climbing high and putting a fierce header past the keeper. 1-0.

We were now enjoying more possession, but Ringwood’s tenacity had to be admired as they scrapped for everything.

Sheridan put Dyer free on the right and Dyer managed to deliver a low cross into the area. The keeper did well to smother the ball.

For some inexplicable reason we eased off allowing an eager Ringwood back into the game. Tierney save brilliantly from a point blank volley and then managed to palm off the line a low shot that hit the inside of the post. His save was followed up and cleared by Carkeet. We breathed again.

Our response was a Kimber shot just wide on 71 minutes and a minute later Heggan blasting just wide.

15 minutes left, Sheridan made way for Nicolson.

Nicolson’s baptism was instant from a Gajic ball wide. Nicolson skipped round his marker to drop the ball for Davies to try a shot. Bodies defended well and the ball was cleared up field. Head cut out the threat.

5 minutes left, the game had see sawed. Evans carried the ball away from yet another Ringwood attack and steered the ball wide for Nicolson. Nicolson found his way blocked and delivered inside to Kimber.

A couple of steps and Kimber unleashed what might be the goal of the season. The ball whipped past a despairing keeper to rifle into the top corner. 2-0.

This Ringwood side though never dropped heads. 89 minutes and they steamed down their left. A deep cross and a great opportunist goal made it 2-1.

It was a grandstand finish but we got the three points.

Result 2-1