Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Totton and Eling vs Verwood Town 29-Sep-18


Within a minute we broke through a settling defence but instead of celebrating our quickest goal of the season the ball flashed through the ozone layer from Russell Dyers right boot.

We enjoyed possession and produced some good football in this opening spell. Richardson took the eye with an inspiring attacking style while Jack Mills dug in alongside him in midfield.

Mills suffered a heavy tackle with 5 minutes gone and spent a couple of minutes recovering under the watchful eye of Tara Goldingay.

T&E’s attacks were well covered by Evans and Carkeet with Evans experiencing most of the action. It was Evans’ flank that sparked our counters. Evans and Nicolson gave the backs a torrid few minutes with good interplay but the ball never really troubled the keeper as we struggled to find shooting boots.

Totton’s attack’s during the first half of the 45 minutes were tidied up by Head and Joy. Tierney gave added confidence with good hands and anticipation of anything that crept through.

30 minutes and Totton sprung an attack on their right. Carkeet blocked the runner and Richardson pounced with a strong tackle winning the ball. Richardson’s crossfield ball was intercepted and a long ball found a runner free on goal. Tierney made an exceptional save palming the ball for a corner. Head was first up to clear.

Davies proved more than a handful for the home team’s right back and found himself on his derriere a few times.

Despite having most of the play we were toothless in front of the sticks.

Half Time 0-0

We started the second half where we left off with Dyer hitting a cross that rolled across the top of the bar after only 40 seconds before going out of play.

3 minutes later Davies skinned the back and cutting the ball back from the bye line found Gajic. A dip of the shoulder and Gajic found space to slam his shot but only into the side netting.

. The counter was swift and a long ball and runner was cut out by Evans.

We won a corner. A header fell on the edge of the box. In swept Head to hammer a low shot but good defending on the line hoofed the ball into touch.

12 minutes a player went down in our box…penalty. 0-1.

We eased off for some reason giving time for Totton to produce some good football and pressuring our backs. Tierney came into his own with some classic goal keeping as we wilted. It was now our turn to defend as T&E maintained pressure. A role reversal - and it was our turn to rely for a while on counters. T&E’s keeper proved his capabilities with a couple of good stops but try as we did we couldn’t break through to score. 61 minutes saw the introduction of new signing Henry Hodge coming on for Jack Mills. With 15 minutes left we got back into the mix. Carkeet converted defence to attack and Nicolson raced away to deliver a great ball into the box. Gajic’s angled shot arrowed over the angle of bar and post. 12 minutes left and Davies whipped past his marker to cross deep unto the box. Gajic headed over the bar. Hodge tried to break through but was closed down quickly by T&E’s defenders.

We went for broke and pushed up. A long ball clearance … a runner….and despite Tierney closing down quickly the ball finished up in the net.. 0-2.

The score line made it appear as if T&E had an easy passage but although they deserved the points for resilience and good discipline we made it easier because of lack of fire power.

Result 0-2.