Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs East Cowes 22-Sep-18


An early scare. 4 minutes old and a long ball down the left was shadowed out by Dean Evans. A quick retrieval and Evans passed the ball to Ed Tierney. The Ref gave a free kick judging the ball to have been kept in play. Despite pleas the free kick was hammered low across the box to disappear on the opposite touch line.

East Cowes cut us open in the middle 4 minutes later and a runner ran free to slot the ball past Tierney into the bottom corner. 0-1.

We looked lack lustre and dozy. EC on the other hand were up for the game, working harder than us and looking a good bet for 3 points.

When we did wake up we found a very resilient opposition. Carkeet was first to feel the draft when he was floored unceremoniously but without a yellow card !! East Cowes continued pressing and we were forced deeper into our half.

Dyer rallied the mid field and Charlie Heggan began to sparkle alongside him. It was a Heggan through ball that Nicolson latched on to and a deep cross found Sheridan. A good header followed but one that went in the direction of recent efforts, high over the bar.

We gradually grabbed a higher % of possession. EC though had no prisoners in mind. Davies chewed grass on 25 minutes and then did a Tom Daley from an uncompromising tackle.

Tierney made a brilliant save from a counter attack. A quick throw and Head moved the ball on to Gajic. Gajic found Sheridan in the box. A desperate tackle felled Sheridan before he could get a shot away. The ref had no alternative but to award a penalty. Up stepped Gajic….1-1… and EC went in on the whistle a man down after a red card flourish.

Half Time 1-1

A very different approach at the start of the second half as our half time chat took hold. Eaton’s pace took him past the full back. A good low cross and a last ditch tackle by the full back diverted the ball away from Nicolson’s outstretched foot.

Evans and Carkeet were finding room and some overlapping on both flanks should have yielded but EC had dug in and defended well.

Heggan tried a 30 yarder that went wide and Nicolson volleyed the ball over the bar as we mounted pressure.

EC’s keeper was now busy as we pushed on. A danger though was the counter supported by very quick forwards.

Davies was dropped outside the area and Dyer’s free kick found Sheridan. A nod down and Eaton fired wide.

Tierney was in action stemming from a free kick just outside the box. Good hands gathered the ball near the foot of the post.

38 minutes Eaton came off for Kimber to dirty his boots and O’Hare came on to give Dyer a breather.

We stepped up pace. We had a few more efforts on target before the whistle but EC had dug deeper fighting hard to protect their point. They did it and went home buoyant.

Result 1-1