Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town v Westland Sports 31-Jul-18


This was the last of our pre season friendly ‘warm ups’. We took the opportunity of giving as many of the squad that were available some game time so 22 players made themselves available.

It took Charlie Heggan only 3 minutes to get noticed as he dummied his marker and sent a through ball for Dyer to run onto and whose cross fell on the spot for Kimber. Kimber’s shot missed the target and bobbled past the post.

A couple of minutes later Richardson robbed a runner of the ball and a square pass found Heggan in space. A chip over the mid field and Gajic went free on goal but his shot went over the bar.

Westlands were busy but we were edging play. A good Westlands’ move down their right finished with another deep cross bringing Tierney into action. A good solid punch and the ball went to our right for Evans to pounce and set up a counter. His ball into the box was headed over by Kimber.

Pierson was in commanding form and good understanding with O’Hare broke up a threat down the middle. Pierson’s ball wide left sent Chilman free. A pass inside to Davies gave space for a run on goal. The resultant shot yet again flew wide of goal.

Half way through the half a no nonsense Richardson tackle won the ball. Another break wide left finished up with Chilman dropping the ball in the middle for Gajic to try and break the deadlock. The keeper’s boots diverted his effort for a corner. An inswinger was met by O’Hare but his header went over the angle.

We’d had a lot of chances but failed to convert them.

Half Time 0-0

It was all change for the second half but luckily Ed Tierney had remained between the sticks to make a superb save on the line as Westlands tried to take advantage of us settling.

Mick Cowland suffered a heavy tackle and had to come off with a suspected medial problem. On came Matt Gilham.

Eaton was enjoying the run out pushing and probing on the left. A sparkling Eaton run finished with a cross that should have been converted had it not been for the keeper doing the splits and stopping the ball with an outstretched leg.

80 minutes on the clock and we were back on top. Vining went close with a dipping shot and then Joy whipped a great ball across the box for Cole to fire wide.

Westlands scored in he 84th minute to go home with a win under their belt. We should have won it but poor finishing was the reason for not doing so.

It was a good game to watch and pleasing that so many of the squad looked ready for the coming campaign.

Result 0-1.