Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Hythe and Dibden vs Verwood Town 23-Apr-18

MONDAY 23rd APRIL 2018

Although we had a couple missing we had a full squad to face a good USP side. It was a nice feel to know we had cover for injuries.

An early well worked attack by USP gave a sign that we had to take up where we left off from our H&D performance.

There was no 'easing' our way into the game and we raised energy levels instantly. 3 minutes on the clock and Gale tried a 25 yard volley bringing out a diving save from the keeper.

3 minutes later a Manley -Turner link put Ollie Davies free down the line. A deep cross was well taken by the keeper.

Matt Davis won a heading contest half way through the half and put Turner through. Turner's shot whistled over the bar. USP countered. Watkins was the saviour with a great sliding tackle stopping the cross.

Browning was winning the expected aerial battle and we looked quite solid at the back. Webber was benefitting from space and joining in overlaps.

Manley's energy pills were on overtime giving his nomadic traits a 'full on' need for travel. Mo Farah hasn't done a greater distance.

40 minutes and the desperately needed goal was slotted home by Ollie Davies. 1-0.

Half Time 1-0.

USP came out of the blocks quickly at the re start. Manley had returned to the defence from first half exodus and blocked a shot on target. In came a runner and Haigh deflected a shot on target with feet.

We stood firm for ten minutes under a barrage of attacks but with Webber Watkins Browning and Manley providing a solid wall we gradually got on top.

60 minutes, Webber raced down the right and slipped a through ball to Gale. A clinical finish made it 2-0.

USP were stung into retaliation. Browning's size 22 boot put the ball in the bushes from an attack and Watkins header in the 6 yard box gave us a breather.

Turner then matched Ollie Davies and Guthrie pace to keep up on the counter. Guthrie delivered a great ball to Turner from Davies' chip. Turner put the ball past the keeper. 3-0.

71 minutes Matt Davis came off for Matt Gilham and 3 minutes later Sam Hockey came on for George Turner.

Guthrie turned provider again with 4 minutes left on the clock threading a ball through the back four for Sam Hockey to rifle the ball into the roof of the net. 4-0.

Then we returned to old habits. Lack of concentration. - a gap wider than the M5…….

Result 4-1