Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report New Milton vs Verwood Town 7-Apr-18


It was a spluttering start for us and within a couple of minutes New Milton had stretched us creating opportunities to go ahead. Browning cleared one aerial attack and Watkins cleared another threat just inside the area before NM went ahead with a slick central move. Space appeared through the middle leaving a runner with a simple tap in. 0-1.

Haigh then had to make a couple of good saves before we finally settled down. Another set of changes forced upon us through work commitments and injuries meant the flexibility of the squad was of paramount importance so it was 14 minutes into the game before we mounted our first real threat as Gale and Guthrie combined to split NM’s defence. Davis rounded off the move with a right footer but grazing the post.

We stayed on attack. Manley freed up Davis and another Davis effort went just wide. A minute later it was Guthrie’s turn to try his luck but the keeper did well this time to claw the ball back off the line.

NM hit back. Good football took them into our third. Browning was in quickly to make a great tackle. Browning whipped the ball wide to Webber and a sprint down the line opened up the home team. A cross, and there was Davis racing in to wriggle past a defender and square the ball back to Jaco. A terrific shot was heading under the bar but a terrific save flipped the ball over the bar. The corner was hammered clear.

Then we had one for the scrap book. Dyer tracked a runner and what was a good strong tackle was interpreted by the ref as a foul !!. Dyer received a yellow !!!!!!! 31 minutes gone and a landmark booking.

35 minutes Browning took the ball off toes and released Gale with a pin point pass. Gale raced past a defender and steered the ball past the keeper 1-1.

4 minutes later though we left players unattended in the box for a corner and suffered the consequences. 1-2

Glatzel superbly demonstrated his defensive qualities with some great defending at the close of the half.

Half Time 1-2

A nagging injury meant the need for change at the start of the second half. Jaco made way for Ryan Kelly meaning a positional shuffle. Ollie Davis went wide left with Ran Kelly playing alongside James Guthrie.

Webber blocked a run down NM left and shrugging off a tackle made ground down the right. On to Manley on to Gale and a chip over the defence almost found Guthrie but the keeper had sensed the danger and beat JG to the ball on the edge of the box.

NM responded with a move down their right. The cross was fielded by Haigh.

The half had opened well with both teams committed to attack. We looked more lively and a bit more inventive.

59 minutes had Guthrie in the box and although shouldered by a couple of defenders managed to get a shot away. The keeper did well to gather at the foot of the post.

On 70 minutes Gilham came on for Watkins. Within minutes NM tested the change but ran into brick wall as Gilham’s strong tackle stopped an attack on their left.

Davis was felled on 72 minutes and needed a long spell of treatment.

Then we had bad luck. Guthrie had dropped back to cover and a good tackle was judged to be a foul in the box. Penalty. .. 1-3.

We had a good second half and on the balance of play deserved at least a point but the score line in the paper gave a different perspective.

Result 1-3