Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Alton 20-Jan-18


De Ja Vu. 30 seconds on the clock and desperate defending managed to keep Alton from going ahead. It was the malaise we’ve had to endure for a chunk of the season. This time however we managed to get through the first few minutes before settling in.

A Manley cross found Guthrie and a clever flick almost had us in front as the ball beat the keeper but inched wide.

Back came Alton. We gave ground resulting in space for a shot from the edge of the area. Haigh did the splits in diverting the ball past the post. The corner was cleared by O’Hare, putting us on a counter. Gale took up the running playing Vining in on the edge of the box. A well placed shot was well taken by the keeper.

Gale was having one of his better outings, springing attacks on the left. Manley went close with a cross shot after Gale had floated the ball across the box. Guthrie then fired just wide after another Gale supply.

Gajic was having a major impact on our defending with a commanding presence alongside O’Hare.

We pressed forward but almost got caught on a counter. Watkins blocked the cross giving away a corner. Webber cleared the box and Watkins went forward to drop the ball on Alton’s penalty spot. Boots flew with the final result an ‘up ‘n under’ on the half way line.

35 minutes we got what our efforts deserved. The lead. Gale pounced in a packed box to shoot high into the net. 1-0.

Half Time 1-0.

We started the second half with a much better attitude than of late and pushed Alton back to defend. Dyer and Browning were having the higher percentage of play in the middle of the park and Browning’s crossfield pass found Vining. An inch perfect pass ran ahead of Guthrie and a volley that would have been expected to finish up in the back of the net was superbly saved.

Joe Manley gave way for Sam Hockey to have a run on 62 minutes.

We were enjoying most possession at this point and both Gale and Guthrie went close with good shots on goal.

74 minutes old and we had the pleasure of putting another goal on the board when Gale grabbed his second of the game steering the ball past the keeper. 2-0.

A lapse in concentration and 2 minutes later it was 2-1 as we allowed Alton loads of space to coast through and put the ball in the net for a 2-1 score line.

Alton sensed a bit of laxity and Haigh had his work cut out making several good saves.

Gajic and O’Hare were superb in the closing minutes both winning aerial battles as even Alton’s keeper joined in the melee in our box.

A corner in the 96th minute dropped on the spot but this time collective defending won the day with O’Hare finally clearing the ball up field as the whistle blew.

Result 2-1.