Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Lymington Town vs Verwood Town 05-Dec-17


Lymington’s won a corner straight from the kick off. James won the header clearing the area. Browning collected and sent Vining away on the right. A good low cross was well taken by the keeper. It was a bright opening with both sides intent on attack.

Frost’s throw in with 7 minutes gone dropped in the box. Vining connected but the keeper gathered well.

Browning was floored by an elbow in the ribs shortly after but was able to carry on after treatment.

Lymington’s crisp attacking style pushed us back but on the night Frost James Manley and Webber stood firm at the back. Haigh’s handling was faultless so we weathered the storm. Dyer, Gale and Browning really put a shift in to earn a 50% share of the ball in the middle.

Kimber linked with Guthrie to pose a threat to Lymington’s defence but yet again a very solid looking defence blocked progress.

23 minutes gone and Frost’s throw in spun in the box. The keeper went to trap it but pressure from Guthrie and Gale forced a mistake and the ball spun into the net 1-0.

It was end to end with Lymington having slightly more possession for a while, but with a few minutes left of the half Guthrie and Gale punctured Lymington’s defence but watched Guthrie’s finishing shot go wide.

On the whistle Haigh pulled off an excellent catch under the bar as Lymington tried to level the score.

Half Time 1-0

Recently we have fallen foul of leaving discipline in the dressing room. This time we carried on where we left off. We attacked from the whistle. Gale sent Vining free on the right, a cross into the box was met by Kimber but his half volley went wide.

Inspirational skipper Russ Dyer led the battle for midfield. Manley and Browning worked hard and we enjoyed a fair share of the ball.

53 minutes and a cross into our box was picked up by Lymington. Manley tried shielding but the Ref thought it was over zealous and gave a penalty. 1-1.

Lymington scented an opportunity but we closed ranks and Frost James and Webber were exceptional in covering the area. Haigh’s quality gave added confidence and we defended well.

Manley had to come off on 78 minutes suffering from severe cramp. Martin Smith got bandaged up and tucked in to bridge mid field and forward line.

James blocked an attack down our right giving away a corner. Up went Frost to head clear the ball bounced on the edge of the box and was volleyed back. Haigh made a superb flying catch.

Kimber shot just over the bar as the whistle blew for extra time.

Full Time 1-1.

30 seconds after the whistle Browning released Guthrie. A ball wide right and Vining sped past his marker and put the ball in the net past an advancing keeper. 2-1.

7 minutes saw Frost planting a header just over Lymington’s bar but three minutes later was sent off for a second yellow. Down to ten men and 20 minutes left !!!

Intense pressure. It wanted character and we had it. There was no sitting back. We went for another and Guthrie Kimber and Gale all had shots saved.

The whistle finally went on a gutsy performance and a Cup Final against Bashley 12 th December 2017.

Result 2-1.