Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Hamworthy United 21-Nov-17


"Hamworthy’s experience outshone our naivety on the night as we gifted a clutch of goals yet again in the space of ten minutes.
The first half had 5 minutes left with scores even 1-1. 5 minutes later as the referee blew his whistle we had leaked 2 soft goals giving Hamworthy a 1-3 lead."

Hamworthy went ahead on the 8th minute as a topped shot trickled into the bottom corner. 0-1. We hit back immediately with Webber the architect of a move down our right. Guthrie collected and good feet gave space for a shot. The keeper made an excellent save.

We continued with a spate of possession. Watkins did well breaking out of mid field and releasing Bergin on the touch line. Bergin’s progress was halted by a good tackle giving us a throw. Frost collected the ball just outside the box and tried a long range effort. The ball skimmed the angle. It was a good rally.

Our possession was short lived. Hamworthy gradually took control and O’Hare and James were over employed in trying to curb a series of attacks. Haigh saved a shot on the line and one at feet as pressure mounted.

We leveled score on 33 minutes through a Vining volley from the edge of the box.

The game swung end to end for a while but with only 5 minutes to go we wilted. A ball bouncing on the edge of the area wasn’t cleared and was stabbed past Haigh. 1-2. 44 minutes a runner went unmarked down their right. Cutting inside there was no marker so the shot went through unchallenged and whistled past Haigh.

Half Time 1-3.

No attention, no marking and an unbelievable goal for the visitors as with a minute and a half on the clock a player drifted through totally unchallenged and slipped the ball past Haigh for No.4.

We then played suicide cards. Messing about on the edge of the area .. losing the ball and paying the penalty 1-5. 51 minutes we gave away a silly penalty. 1-6.

Guthrie then suffered a groin strain and had to come off being replaced by Hockey. Ollie Davies came on for James Bergin .. Frost came off for Manley ..

The changes worked. We got more into the game.

Gale worked the right with Manley and a good break freed Hockey. A low shot was well saved by a very good keeper.

Ollie Davies then hit the post. A minute later Davies skipped past his marker and a low cross found Richardson. No mistakes this time 2-6.

A long clearance was picked up by Webber, a pass inside wasn’t developed into any form of attack and we got caught in possession. We suffered the inevitable pain of another goal against --- 2-7.

Manley, Hockey and Davies had a good impact on the last few minutes but we couldn’t maximize that impact finishing the game by gifting Hamworthy a trouble free passage into the next round.

Result 2-7.