Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Weymouth Reserves vs Verwood Town 15-Aug-17


A couple of changes to the side that finished the East Cowes game saw Sam Hockey and Ollie Davis taking a bow at Weymouth.

It was a dreadful start. Davis and Hockey moved down our left from the kick off and a Davis cross was cleared by hoofing it up field. We were static. No concentration and a ball bounced over what looked like the Terracotta Army to fall on the toes of a very grateful centre forward. 0-1 and with only 30 seconds on the clock !!

We inched back into the game. Weymouth was more determined and rugged, winning more tackles than they should have.

6 minutes into the game and Davis again was the spark that looked like pulling back the deficit. A Lindsey line ball opened up Weymouth’s flank and Davis capitalized moving along the box. A low left foot shot whistled past the post.

Weymouth had more of the play at this juncture and a good move through the middle finished with a break in the box. This time Dennis went full length to make a critical save.

Dyer and Hockey worked hard to cut through a tough midfield and Hockey slammed a shot just wide with 10 minutes gone.

Smith and Ballard held tight under an aerial threat and with O’Hare and Lindsey nicely balancing the back four we looked a more solid unit.

We were opened up though with 25 minutes gone allowing a through ball to reach a runner on the left. A low cross was turned in on the post. 0-2.

We hit back. Kelly was being policed but good feet took him free of shackles with 15 minutes gone and a wide ball reached Setters. Setters moved inside and chipped a pass for the Kelly who had followed up. A volley beat the keeper but went over the bar.

A few shots on Weymouth’s goal didn’t cause any hassle for a very much in form keeper.

Three quarters through the half and Weymouth got back on top for a spell. Dennis was busy but confidence wasn’t an issue and safe hands kept the score line at 0-2 for the first half.

Half Time 0-2.

Jimmy Setters had suffered a chest injury on half time and came off to give Sammy Glatzel a run. Luke Hall came on for Liam Lindsey.

We pushed forward at every opportunity but with Smith and Ballard commanding the middle and O’Hare and Hall protecting the flanks we felt confident we could control Weymouth’s attacks.

Play for a while was contained in midfield but Kimber broke up the boredom spraying the ball to flanks. Davis wriggled past tight marking and a low cross was diverted past the post by Hockey.

Kelly was battling away against close marking and taking strong tackles. One such tackle won a free kick. Smith floated a high ball and Ballard connected but planted his header past the post.

Kelly split Weymouth’s defence with a through ball. Hall ran free of the back but was shut off by two other defenders blocking his route to goal. It was a frustrating period of ‘almost’.

Then with 73 minutes gone Davis got a well deserved goal cutting past his defender and unleashing a shot across the keeper into the bottom corner. 1-2.

5 minutes later Kelly made way for Meyer in a one for one.

We continued pressurizing the home defence. Hall went close with an overhead kick on the edge of the 6 yard box then Kimber lifted the ball over defenders but also the bar.

Dyer and Smith worked the ball down the left and Dyer’s cross was held by the keeper under intense pressure from Ballard and Kimber.

In the closing minutes we should have scored from a flurry of attacks but the night wasn’t ours and the whistle blew on a Weymouth victory.

Result 1-2.