Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs East Cowes Vics 12-Aug-17


Our first league game of the season brought East Cowes Vics to Potterne. As usual at this time of the year holidays took its toll of available players but we still managed to field a strong side.

Treading the turf :-
Dennis .. Smith J .. Lindsey .. O’Hare .. Ballard .. Elsom .. Dyer .. Setters .. Meyer Smith M .. Vining M.

Polishing the bench :-
Kelly .. Kimber .. Hall .. Fletcher.

East Cowes settled quickly to set up an attack down their right. Lindsey snuffed out the attempted cross with a good strong tackle. A ball inside to Dyer set up a counter. A cross was caught in the 6 yard box by the keeper.

Our passing ability in these early stages left a lot to be desired and we were second best to the ball.

Dennis took a high ball from a free kick and a throw down the line released Vining. Defenders were quick to cut across and a scything tackle took the ball and Vining over the line.

Vining reacted in typical fashion winning his next tackle and freeing up Meyer with a through ball. Meyer rounded his marker and unloaded a great effort but watched it whistle wide of the upright.

23 minutes gone and a straight red presented to Liam Lindsey. 10 men and 67 minutes left. !!!

Again wayward passing and an apparent reluctance to meet the ball gave more possession to East Cowes than they should have had. East Cowes pushed on trying to benefit from the reduced numbers in opposition.

Jack Smith saved blushes with a race across the box to stop a runner and Ballard climbed higher than the opposition to steer a header out wide from a corner.

O’Hare had slotted into the right back spot with Martin Smith taking up a central defensive role alongside Ballard. O’Hare was winning his personal battle with his opposite number and the back four looked to be settling down quite well. Dennis took care of any stray shots and we set up a series of attacks with Elsom and Dyer providing good service into the area. Meyer had a close shot turned round the post and Martin Smith joined in the fun but hammered his volley just wide of the angle.

On 47 minutes pressure paid off with a free kick awarded on the edge of the East Cowes box. Up stepped Joe Meyer to place an unstoppable shot into the top corner 0-1.

Half Time 0-1.

Ryan Kelly replaced Joe Meyer for the start of the second half and Joe Kimber replaced Jack Smith. Both Meyer and Smith had suffered injuries but both Kelly and Kimber were in recovery mode from their problems of back and ankle issues respectively.

Dyer produced a bit of magic on the left and a rampaging Smith put a header just past the post.

Passing quality had got much better and we were gradually getting on top despite having a man short.

East Cowes were reliant an breaks and almost stole through with a cross field clearance that found a runner on their left. O’Hare was across to make a decisive tackle putting the ball into touch. The throw was high into the box but Dennis rose high and safe hands took care of the danger.

Vining and Setters linked with 65 minutes on the clock and Vining whipped an angled shot just wide of the post.

We were well on top at this stage and further help arrived in the sending off of an East Cowes offender with 76 minutes gone.

That clinched dominance. We pushed on and with better accuracy in the pass and a more aggressive tackling quality we camped for a period in East Cowes’ box.

Kimber excelled in his mid field role and sparked a couple of attacks using our flanks.

Although having most of the play we had a couple of attacks to contend with as East Cowes used a route one ball to counter. Dennis was equal to anything that got through and made a splendid flying save on the line to stop East Cowes drawing level.

Then, a fitter side than we had last year benefitted with a flurry of goals. Dyer slammed in a spilled ball. 0-2. O’Hare flashed in No.3 and the impressive Martin Smith took an 88th minute penalty to make it 4-0.

Result 4-0