Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Badshot Lea 08-Aug-17

(Badshot win on penalties after extra-time)

We had the same line up as the one starting at Camberley but with the bench having one change allowing Martin Smith to come in for Jamie Webber.

It was a brisk opening with Badshot getting a crossing from the left. Horton had it covered but it was Ballard who climbed high to clear with a strong header.

We spluttered rather than fired and gave space for Badshot to control the mid field. We seemed to want to be second to balls and consequently found ourselves dropping deeper.

Jack Smith caught the eye with great anticipation and had the upper hand on a Badshot dangerous left flank.

Lindsey on the other side of our back four seemed to have overcome his ankle problem and was keeping close tabs on a very pacey forward. A strong tackle by Lindsey gave us the ball and a quick break from Meyer and Vining finished with Vining shooting wide.

Then a Badshot free kick into our box was headed into the top corner from an unmarked player giving Badshot a 0-1 lead.

20 minutes later a free kick was volleyed for goal but Horton body blocked the shot. The rebound shot up in the air and was chested over the line. 0-2. An odd, but simple goal. 0-2.

Sammy Glatzel came on for Max Fletcher after 27 minutes and took up a mid field role.

Elsom’s tenacity paid dividends with great tackle after following the ball across the middle of the park and a cut back gave Kimber space to drive forward and try a shot from the edge of the box. A flying fingertip save kept the score at 0-2.

Badshot pushed us back and a break on goal resulted in a penalty as Ballard up ended an attacker in the box. Horton sussed the penalty taker and a flying dive stopped the ball crossing the line.

We hit back and this time it was a penalty decision in our favour as Joe Meyer was cynically dropped in the box. Meyer gave the keeper no chance. 1-2.

In we went at half time 1-2

We started the second half in a more determined mood and a Kimber Meyer link almost produced a goal but the finishing shot going wide of the post.

Badshot reacted with a move down their right and a cross cum shot clipped the foot of the near post and finished up in the back of the net. 1-3.

Last season we might have folded but the character of the side came through and within 5 minutes of Badshot’s third goal we claimed a penalty. Up stepped Meyer. 2-3.

We maintained pressure and as the old cliché ‘a game of two halves’ emerged. Badshot had inched the first half and it was obvious we were going to be in charge of the second.

Dyer’s industry in the middle was paying dividends and with Glatzel nicely settled Dyer claimed a bit more freedom and a cross from him on the left was headed back across the area by Elsom. Vining’s scissor kick hit the post and bounced out.

We pressed again this time winning a corner from a Jack Smith effort. Up went Ballard but his header hit the angle.

Harvey Elsom made way for Ryan Kelly to have a run with 69 minutes gone. Seconds later he was active in pursuing a Jack Smith line ball. A cross found Kimber and a left foot shot was diverted round the post by the keeper’s boot. The corner was hoofed out of the area but Jack Smith had read it well and good feet took control lobbing it back into the area. Vining shot wide.

We were on top but didn’t have that all important finishing touch.

10 minutes left and a cross was challenged by Vining and Meyer, the keeper won and palmed the ball away.

5 minutes to go … O’Hare spotted Kelly on the corner of the Badshot box. A through ball and Kelly switched the it along the edge of the area to Kimber. This time Kimber’s right boot claimed a third. 3 – 3.

Extra Time….. Both ends had activity but no goals. Unlike last season we were fit enough to face the challenge of 120 minutes and it showed as we pushed on.

The second half of extra time had some thrills and spills. Horton saved a coupe of hopeful shots and Badshot’s defence dug in to stop shots on their keeper.

With only 4 minutes to go our pressure paid off with Jack Smith sending a ball down the line .. a cross… and there was Martin Smith forcing the ball past the keeper. Celebrations were short lived as the lineman judged it offside. !!!!

Into penalties. … We lost heavily with only Russ Dyer putting one past the keeper.

Result of a pulsating game 3-3. But losing on penalties.