Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood Town vs Shaftesbury 29-Jul-17


It was a good opening with both sides playing football along the deck. Only 5 minutes on the clock though and George Richardson ‘rolled’ an ankle forcing him to come off. Sammy Glatzel came on in a one for one.

A break on Shaftesbury’s left was policed by Elsom. A good tackle gave us the ball. Head took up the running on our right and a cross was diverted past the post by Guthrie.

Kimber sparked a couple of moves from mid field with Fisk following in and some good crosses should have yielded but our shooting was wayward.

Shaftesbury broke away with 11 minutes gone and showed us how to put the ball in the net. A 25 yard daisy cutter sped past Horton. It was against the run of play but the score line read 0-1.

Glatzel was enjoying his mid field role and linking with Guthrie scythed a path through the middle of the park. Fletcher cut round the back and tried an angled shot. The ball went inches wide of the foot of the post.

Anderton’s cross after winning a line ball found Guthrie. The header though went straight down the keepers throat.

30 minutes and Shaftesbury went 2 up when a volley across the box took a deflection leaving Horton no chance. 0-2.

Our response was 9 minutes later when A Kimber through ball released Guthrie. A dribble round his marker and a gentle tap in made it 1-2.

Half Time 1-2.

Jordan Fisk came off for Nick Beattie. Max Fletcher came off for Joe Meyer. Matt Head made way for Harry Grant.

It was Grant who was in action first, blocking a route one attack down Shaftesbury’s left.

10 minutes of the half had elapsed when we won a free kick. Kimber floated the ball into the box and up went O’Hare and Guthrie. The keeper palmed the ball out of the area. Dyer slammed it back in but only to see the ball graze the bar.

Our self destruct button operated with 56 minutes gone when we neglected to defend properly and a runner went free to knock the ball past Horton 1-3.

Meyer almost reduced the deficit a minute later with a good run down our right slamming in a good angled shot. The keeper’s right boot deflected it for a corner. In it came but no one on the end of it to benefit our score line.

59 minutes and Joe Kimber came off to give Christer Warren an airing.

65 minutes Nick Beattie linked with Joe Meyer. A cross from the bye line was well held by the keeper. A long throw and there we were again camping in the wrong third. A runner tucked the ball past Jamie Horton 1-4.

2 minutes later we gave away a corner and an unmarked body had the simplest of headers to make it 1-5. After a good first half display we were in the doldrums.

73 minutes Dyer slipped his marker. A great left foot volley would have put us another goal on the board but a diving defender blocked the ball on the spot. The referee gave a penalty.

Up stepped Meyer to put the ball in the top corner. 2-5.

Guthrie then came off for Jamie Webber and Kris Anderton gave way for Matt Gilham.

Both Jamie Webber and Matt Gilham slipped into their respective roles comfortably and made a significant contribution.

Warren headed clear a dipping corner in the closing minutes but with only 3 minutes left we had again opened up like a can of sardines to let in a tap in. 2-6.

A good first half but conversely a disastrous second.

Result 2-6