Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Wimborne Town vs Verwood Town 22-Jul-17


Our annual game with Wimborne for the Steve Moore Trophy took place at Cuthbury. Although we had a number of squad changes from last week it still meant 18 getting changed.

Treading the turf … Horton Manley Smith J O'Hare Smith M Richardson Beattie Kimber Peckham Mayer Dyer.

Warming the bench .. Grant Donachy Head Gilham Hall Webber Setters.

Wimborne's attack in the first couple of minutes was tracked by Manley and any danger snuffed out. Manley's ball wide found Martin Smith, on to Jack Smith and a line ball freed up Dyer to hit a cross. Wimborne's defence stayed tight and cleared the area.

Richardson won a fierce tackle in the centre of the park and a through ball found Beattie racing free. A good cross was plucked out of the air by the keeper.

It was a very different Verwood than we saw last week and we were entertained with two sides keen on playing good football.

O'Hare and Martin Smith made an excellent pairing in the centre of the park keeping a tight reign on dangerous front runners. Jack Smith and Joe Manley looked solid, making up a good back four.

Wimborne sneaked round the back a couple of times but wayward shooting kept the scoreboard unoccupied.

Peckham worked hard linking well with Beattie and Dyer.

A disruption to formation took place on 23 minutes as Mayer had to come off with a hamstring strain allowing Head to take up a forward role.

Kimber again was having a good game in the 'hole' and good feet took him past a couple in midfield. A crossfield ball found Peckham and an angled shot hit the side netting.

The half finished with a flurry of activity in the Wimborne box but no change to the score line.

Half Time 0-0

Our first change was O'Hare coming off for Donachy.

Wimborne's movement was good but our fitness level for a change was up to scratch and we continued to close down the central area. Richardson and Dyer were main contributors.

Kimber tried a 35 yarder with the keeper off his line but the ball was cut out before hitting the net.

57 minutes and a clear opening for Wimborne gave space for a shot. Horton made the catch look easy.

60 minutes had Jack Smith coming off for Matt Gilham.

A minute later a low cross into our box wasn't cleared and a diving header gave Wimborner the lead. 0-1.

Donachy broke up an attack 2 minutes later and a long clearance had Peckham racing down the right. A cross intended for Head was cut out.

We dropped off a bit giving room for Wimborne to string several good moves together. We consolidated well at the back and many attacks were dealt with before Horton had to energise.

Gilham had slotted in well and the back four still looked solid.

66 minutes Grant came on for Manley. 5 minutes later Kimber came off for Setters to damage the grass.

Peckham needed treatment to bad blisters and skinned heels but insisted on working hard up front. He had to yield though on 75 minutes giving Jamie Webber game time on the left.

82 minutes and a half hit cross took a deflection popping up in the 6 yard box. A hopeful toe ender and Wimborne made it 0-2.

2 minutes later a break on the left gave room for a shot. Horton took off like a legless gazelle making an excellent catch.

That saw the best of the remaining few minutes and Wimborne retained the Steve Moore Trophy.

Result 0-2