Verwood Town Football Club Standard Report Display Page



badge_small badge_small badge_xsmall badge_xsmall


Match Report Verwood vs Petersfield Town 22-Mar-2008


Strong, gusting, freezing cold winds heralded the game. Charlie Elysee reckoned some were 50-60 miles per hour as he was just able to keep in front of them.

We kicked off with the wind behind us but found ourselves defending desperately for the first five minutes. Willis had to make two flying saves to keep the score sheet clean. Chas Elysee was the hero with three minutes gone driving the ball for a corner as Petersfield broke into the box and looked like scoring.

We got ourselves on track with some good defending from our back four and Homer led the fight back with a series of breaks out of the back and linking with Murray kept Petersfields right back busy.

Goodall's pace was a major factor in forcing the visitors deeper into their area and Dyer kept chalk on his boots to keep Petersfield's defence spread at the back.

14 minutes gone and our pressure paid off as Giles hit a peach of a pass to Faulkner. Faulkner turned inside his man and a flick found Murray. Back to Faulkner and then a ball low across the edge of the area found Arnold. A right foot rocket, and we went 1-0 up.

We kept on top for a while but Petersfiel;d were playing some good football on the deck and made inroads into our defence causing some concern

Willis was on top form. Lynch commanding in the air. Homer's perception and reading the game was a major feature. Chas Elysee was outstanding so we weathered the storm.

Dyer had hard luck with a good effort from the edge of the area and we then won three corner's on the trot but couldn't convert them into goals.

Half Time 1-0.

We expected an aerial bombardment as the wind was ferocious. Luckily it wasn't constant but it was enough to cause all sorts of problems when it did hit. Luckily Willis was in cracking form and a succession of excellent saves gave us confidence.

We held our shape and got numbers behind the ball. Petersfield played some good stuff but we blocked access to the area and shots that were made were either wide or very capably dealt with.

We worked hard and Goodall's running off the ball kept Petersfield's defence stretched. Matt Newbury almost scored from a break just outside the area but of the two sides half way through the half it looked as if Petersfield would be the next to score.

The mid field was non existent. Faulkner foraged in defence and was then employed up front. There was no holding role this week. Arnold was his usual bustling self and was unlucky with fifteen minutes of normal time left when he hammered a low shot just wide of the post.

Then came an onslaught. Three corners on the trot with the third dropping on the penalty spot inviting shots at Willis. Any shots though had to get through a defensive wall that again fought for everything. Lynch and Giles worked frantically hard and Homer's pace cut out the wide balls. Then came a couple of minutes where Lady Luck stayed with us. Shots rained in. Two were blocked on the line and then a screwed shot spun onto the post and out. Willis put paid to the excitement with a tremendous high catch taking the sting out of the event.

Elysee was enjoying his link with Dyer and created an opening on the right. Again Goodall's running was a feature and Newbury's support had Petersfield's defence stretched. A cracking shot from Faulkner deserved a goal but the ball was inches only over the bar.

90 minutes and the crowd were calling for the whistle. It was freezing cold the wind was worse than at the start of major concern Petersfield were again pressurising.

91 minutes a raid on the left in swept Murray and a low shot beat the keeper to kill the game off at 2-0.